What it Does.
Delphi’s first-of-its-kind, patented and award winning Electronic Injector Test Kit, part number YDT720, completes the on-vehicle diagnosis for Common Rail systems. A simple, hand-held allmakes diagnostic tool, it gives technicians the ability to quickly test the electrical integrity of all makes of solenoid Common Rail injectors. And all in a single tool, saving significant time and cost for the garage. Immediate and accurate results are presented on a digital display in under 60 seconds, allowing the user to compare values between the injectors to identify if any are not within a comparable performance range. Specific electronic failures related to short or open circuits, high resistance or an insulation failure are immediately presented to the user to indicate an unrepairable Common Rail injector.
- Detect coil open-circuit.
- Test for coil short-circuit.
- Resistance test.
- Test coil to body insulation.
- Measure coil resistance and coil inductance.
- Perform a ‘Buzz’ test (drive the valve).
- Facilitates cleaning operation (additional equipment required).
Benefits to the Technician.
- Quick and accurate diagnostics of all makes of solenoid Common Rail injectors both on and off vehicle.
- Combines a digital multimeter, megohmmeter, millohmeter, LCR (inductance/capacitance/resistance) meter and signal generator into a single, economical and easy to use hand-held tool.
- Allows the user to compare values between the injectors and identify individual injector failures.
- Provides capability to check electrical integrity of an injector prior to commencing repair.
- Tests both coil resistance and inductance for an immediate and accurate assessment.
- Ability to drive the valve to make it BUZZ, proving the valve is not stuck from lacquering deposits.
- Complete range of adapter cables supplied with the kit for all-makes coverage.
- Resolve early-stage lacquering when used in conjunction with the Delphi Solvent Cleaning Kit and dedicated solvent cleaning solution.
How it Works.
Select the correct adaptor cable from the complete range supplied with the kit. Connect one end to the test unit. Note the YDT720 kit is not compatible with direct or indirect operation piezo-electric injectors.
Connect the green crocodile clip to the green banana connector on the test cable, then clip to the injector body, or another solidly secured component (HP pipe, engine block etc.). This is to ensure the insulation test function is carried out during the test cycle.
- Connect the supply cable connectors to the vehicle battery. Red to the battery +ve and black to the –ve/0V). The battery must be in good condition and supplying a 15 to 25a current.
Power up! Once connected to the injector, press the button to start the electronic test.
The unit will then: detect the presence of an injector, test for a coil open circuit, test for a coil internal short circuit and finally check the coil insulation to the injector body. If any of the above faults are detected, the tool will clearly display the fault found and will not progress to the measurement stage. If no faults are detected, it will measure and display coil resistance and coil inductance.
Compare each injector to the other injector results and look for any noticeable differences, which are an indication of failure. Check the back of the users manual for a record sheet to record these values.
Following the measurement, press continue and carry out the BUZZ test. During the control sequence, the test injector will make a characteristic audible buzzing noise, which is an indication that the injector valve has free movement and is not suffering from lacquering.
Repeat the above steps for each injector on the vehicle being tested.